9Tail    1

This is an old topic, here resent it again for more newbies. 

Topic - Clogged extruder 

1. Long term use

2. Carbonized filament by over heating

3. Print different material in one same nozzle without cleaning it thoroughly (eg. ABS to PLA, their melt points are different)

Inspection: when your pre-extruding a certain length of filament before model printng, the filament output becomes thinner.

Suggestion: 

Preheat the filament to its target temperature (eg. PLA 210 centidegree, ABS 235 centidegree)

Move axis - 1 mm - extruder - set a length/distance 

Loose the screw of filament feeding device, manually push the filament into nozzle, normally you will see more filaments flow out of the nozzle.

Cool down the heating temperature, for example : 70-80 centidegree for PLA, 80-90 centidegree for ABS,then quickly pull out the filament with force. The filament head will be streched if pulling it out slowly. See the comparison in below picture. 

filament_clearance_meitu_1.thumb.jpg.aa5

Edited by 9Tail
change picture size

NickP    7

Hi 9Tail

Apparently Esun make a filament that is specifically for nozzle cleaning.

I haven't tried it but the review I read sounded positive.

Cheers,

Nick

ToliyK    0

Hello all,

After long hours of printing i found that filament may slip and not extrude properly. 

The cause, is that little filament particles gunk up the gear of the feed motor, causing it to slip.

I found that it is good practice to clean the cog gear on the filament extruder step motor when changing filament. 

Doing so prevents filament from slipping and not extruding properly.

The only way to do it is to jog the extruder motor without the filament. Using a steel or brass brush clean the teeth as the gear rotates. You only need 1 rotation of the gear to get everything out. The motor will not jog without the nozzle heated up. I found it best to keep the nozzle at printing temperature. This allows me to jog the motor and instantly feed new filament.

Cheers.