NickP

Esun Filament

NickP    7

Hi All,

I have recently tried Esun filament through HobbyKing after seeing a review online.

It prints quite well and best of all it is around $25 for a kg, sometimes less.

You can get 1/2 KG spools too if you are trialing a colour etc

I got it through the Australian site http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?cwhl=AU&idCategory=1531&v=&sortlist=W&LiPoConfig=&CatSortOrder=desc

They have a global website too. I think in Asia somewhere.

When you are done you can also harvest some M6 bolts from the spool.

Cheers,

Nick

NickP    7

Wow

They must have jacked up the prices all round.

When I got my filament one of the rolls was $11 and the most expensive was $20

I'm pretty sure postage was not that much either.

I just had a look at the order and I got 4 spools and postage for $91.

Sorry for the bum steer.

Cheers

Nick

NickP    7

Hi Mongrel

I just checked the site again to see.

Make sure you are on the Australian Warehouse page

There is a courier option that is cheaper than Aus post.

I think it worked out well for me buying more rolls and using the courier.

The price of the rolls has gone up since I bought them though.

Cheers

Nick

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 11.54.04 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 11.50.49 am.jpg

Hi Everyone!

I've continued to use Esun filament, exclusively, since my last posts in this thread. I have been printing their PLA (variety of colours) in 1.75 and 3mm sizes. Works flawlessly for me. 

Though I do have a gripe with how brittle it is. On all my machines (bowden type) using Esun PLA filament I have to remove filament and re-insert every day. The filament snaps prior to the extruder where it is being forced into a straighter entry to the hotend and away from the curve that exists in the filament while on the spool. I've had to do it so many times that it is now part of the process with Esun filament.

As opposed to other filaments I have tried that are a bit more pliable/flexible that can handle sitting idle in the machine for weeks and weeks.

Regards,

James Armstrong.

NickP    7

Hi James,

Would room temp play a part in the snapping?

I find PLA too brittle and unforgiving in general and as a result mostly use ABS.

I probably need more experience with it to nail the settings.

I'd really love a more malleable version of PLA.

Has anyone found a particularly flexi brand?

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

I'm certain room temperature would, but where the printer is located is located the room barely changes from 21-22C with very low humidity. I have printed (recently at that) with other PLA plastics and they are all much less brittle. Esun filament snaps quite easy with no signs of fatigue whereas other PLA plastics (like Mankati's variant) will bend and whiten at the point of fatigue well before it snaps.

I print mainly in PLA, and rarely in ABS. So we can definitely share our stories. 

There must be some different recipes for PLA production going around, and I believe that's a given. I guess this issue just makes me super good at removing filament :D

Esun filament, when settings are refined, really prints well. I prefer their PLA over all other variants that I've tried. Australia is overdue for a solid supplier of their products. 

Kind regards,

James Armstrong.

jordan33    0

Hi, Just received a few rolls of Esun PLA and ABS filament and cant seem to get the layers to stick together properly. can anyone share some settings with me for pla? im pretty new to all this stuff and haven't tired the abs yet. 

using the XT Plus

The image attached shows how the layers peel apart after bending the part with minimal force.

Cheers

20151115_205516.jpg

Hi Jordan,

I've seen similar results with Esun PLA and the Fullscale XT Plus. They weren't this sever though. I increased the temperature for my prints using this filament and the issue disappeared. I ended up printing at 225C. 

Regards,

James.