NickP

Bondtech extruder

NickP    7

Hi Klaus,

Nice work!

Thanks for the gcode.

I haven't had much experience at gcode so didn't think to put in a pause.

Cheers

Nick

NickP    7

Hi Nick,

The brass tube is fitted into the bowden tube on the nozzle side of the housing. I have just had to change filament and the extra step of removing the inserted tube a replcing it again really is a non event. Just arrange the filament extra tion code to have the process pause with the filament 30 or 40mm short of the extruder, clip off the filament below the brass tube, (the knob will have pulled down onto the tube), slip the insert off the cut end and reinsert the brass tube....easy. I am told I will have the internet back by the 6th ! Will send some info then.

Cheers

Seadog

Hi Seadog,

I haven't has any problems with the bowden tube myself. Quite the opposite actually. It has been really easy to insert and remove the tube for load/unload.

I got the unload into one motion (until the firmware update) where I was able to remove the bowden tube just in time to snip the blob off the end as it went through.

I'll try and put a pause into the gcode and see if I can streamline the process.

I haven't had much experience at gcode so Rexfrued's files will help.

It is still simpler than the mankati feeder and the springs.

Everything hinges on those springs working properly and not compressing.

They compress and then game over.

I'm glad other people are on board with the Bondtech.

Is anyone using the Bondtech and the XT Plus nozzles?

I heard they block more but maybe they wouldn't with the increased accuracy of the Bondtech.

Interested to know.

Cheers,

Nick

Rexfreund    2

wow nice thing, did you buy the original version of bondtech extruders, this looks more like a selfmade thing to me, isnt it ?

Gruss aus Deutschland ;)

Hi sebi1982,

yes there are the original Bondtech parts!

The houses are printet in SLS tecnology, have a look at the website from Martin (Bondtech SE)

The Clamps are from Martin too and the installation is very simple.
In my XT Plus I changed the wires in the Mankati motor connector to get the right direction.
And finaly the filament feed lenght must be changed in the setup menu.

Cheers,

Klaus

(the bavarian):D

Rexfreund    2

Now I think I have to correct my gcode, I've seen, there is a point at the end of the filament from the Printhead.
This point blocks the extruder. The last draw of the filament in my gcode to 40 cm reduce and a longer delay, so that I can pull out the Bowden and can cut off the last part of the filament.
(Nick has this procedure already described)

Here are the new gcode:

Cheers,

Klaus

Filament1leeren.gcode

image021.jpg

image022.jpg

NickP    7

Hi Seadog and Rexfreund,

Did you guys adjust the amps for the steppers or just plug and play?

I'm not sure what difference the .1 of an amp makes.

Any info would be welcome.

Cheers,

Nick

seadog    5

Hi Nick,

Just installed as is. I did correct the 'Esteps' value (under the CONTROL/MOTION heading) to adjust the feedrate but apart from that - nothing else.

In view of some of the previous comments regarding 'blocks' there is one thing one has to be careful of with Bondtech extruders-THEY EXERT A POWERFUL PUSH and they DO NOT 'GRIND'. This can mean that if there is any restriction at the nozzle end - say, if there is an actual obstruction or the nozzle is too close to the bed or if the feed rate is too high  THE EXTRUDER WILL JUST KEEP PUSHING AWAY - COMPRESSING THE FILAMENT in the feed tube so that filament flow will gradually die. This would probably be accompanied by some clicking at the extruder thereby providing a warning that something is wrong.

As an example of the strength of the thrust exerted I had a situation  on an overnight print where a mal feed did occur and on checking next morning found that filament was deformed all the way up to the bowden tube connection!

That is the 'bad' news, the good news is that with the setting correct everything works BEAUTIFULLY, no worrying about how much pressure to put on those pesky springs or having to keep the teeth clear of filament residue etc

I am happy with my purchase

cheers

Seadog.

• Like 1

NickP    7

Hi Seadog,

I left the amps 'as is' too and all good so far.

I was just curious if there was any difference.

I am pretty happy with the setup.

Do you use Simplify3D?

If so could you post your settings please?

I'm happy to post mine as well.

If so, have you adjusted the extrusion multiplier value at all?

Cheers,

Nick

NickP    7

Hi Roger,

I set the esteps to 510 as that is what is recommended.

Why 491? I read about calibrating them futher to match the machine but i didnt think it would be that different a value. 

Cheers

Nick

Rexfreund    2

Hi Gays,
my XT-Plus the Boundtech Extruder Steps need to set 497,5.

@Christian
sure it is a XT-Plus but I have changed the complete set from Mankati to Boundtech. The electrical connectors are the same. Only on feeder 1 have I the leads crossed.

Cheers

Klaus

Rexfreund    2

Hi Seadog and Rexfreund,

Did you guys adjust the amps for the steppers or just plug and play?

I'm not sure what difference the .1 of an amp makes.

Any info would be welcome.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick
excuse my late replay. I have chanched nothing at the electronic parts or adjusted, it was be realy plug and play :)

Cheers

Klaus

dipicorg    3

Hi Klaus
Thank You for the Feed Back. So I have to buy a complete Extruder (x2) to be in Your Class.. Maybe I do so...
Greets
 Christian

Edited by dipicorg

seadog    5

Hi Seadog,

I left the amps 'as is' too and all good so far.

I was just curious if there was any difference.

I am pretty happy with the setup.

Do you use Simplify3D?

If so could you post your settings please?

I'm happy to post mine as well.

If so, have you adjusted the extrusion multiplier value at all?

Cheers,

Nick

Hello Nick, sorry for the late reply a bit busy I'm afraid. Yes I did adjust the extrusion multiplier similar to others, extruded nominal 500mm and adjusted Esteps accordingly. Part of the reason for my tardy reply was, regardless of the apparently 'correct' Estep settingI was having a lot of difficulty with over extruding at the start of a print but it would appear that that has now been overcome...whew.

So... the situation would be (after reading the available advice from Simplify3D and from Buildtak) and other sources print the first layer a little slower and a little higher and a little wider and at the start everything would be fine...then...there would be the dreaded clicking sound from the extruder as it tried to force more filament through the little 0.4mm dia hole than would fit in the time available (note here that the filament wouldn't 'grind', the Bondtech doesn't do that, it just keeps pushing doesn't it Nick).

Then I read back on the Simplify3D 'Tips of the Day' and discovered that as the height of the initial layer is increased ABOVE 100% the software INCREASES the feed rate accordingly so as I tried to make more room for the filament to escape the software was arranged to keep the status quo!

So what I do now, (and it might not be the neatest way but it appears to work), is this:

For PLA and a layer height of 0.2mm, Nozzle temp 215º and a basic printing speed of 4800mm/min

First layer height 150%

First layer width   60%

First layer speed 75%

THEN....for the first layer tune the flow rate to about 68% After the first layer is completed I then bring the flow rate up to 100% again and increase the speed to 133% and Bobs your uncle!

I have done a fair few prints by this method and don't have the dreaded EXTRUDER CLICK any more. Of course this result could be achieved much more cleanly and simply than what I have outlined but it works on MY printer so for the time being I will stick with it.

I should also say that I have spent much time in truing up the running gear on the printer and have replaced all the machine screws with cap head screws and nyloc nuts so nothing should loosen there.

There is a saying that games like cricket and baseball should be impossible due to the variety of ways and speed that the ball reaches the batter/batsman combined with human reaction times. In the same vein because of the many different ways that a print can go wrong 3D printing should be impossible too!:D

Seadog

mvm    12

Hi Guys,

I have installed a Bondtech extruder on my XT and I am very happy so far.

It has reduced grinding to nothing. No grinding.

I can press print and know it will work.

Installation is easy and Martin at Bondtech is very helpful.

He has designed a mount for the XT that is available with the extruder or you can print your own.

I will post some more pics and vids soon so you can see more.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

How is your experience with the Bondtech extruder(s) so far.

Last week, I had again trouble with the filament feeding, resulting in uneven prints or prints which have gaps in them.
Since I use a lot of different filaments, this probably doesn't help either. Every time I clean the wheels and nozzles, but the problems keeps coming back.

Have you used the Bondtech a lot?  My printer is busy around 5-7 hours per day on average, so it is very busy and I really need something reliable.

Also, with the Bondtech, are you still printing at the same speeds or did the Bondtech allow you to speed up your printing.?

(I usually print at speeds between 30-40 mm/s just to make sure quality is good, but on large prints, this makes for long prints obviously).

NickP    7

Hi mvm,

I haven't had any problems with the extruder.

It's so good I forget it is there.

It has been faultless apart from some teething problems at the start.

I think that was mainly due to dirty nozzles and inexperience.

I print at speeds 35-50mm/s but that hasn't changed really from the old extruder.

It is more accurate, I get better definition and no problems.

It's a small price to pay to get (in my case) a $2k+ machine to behave and work like it should.

The mankati extruder is woeful in comparison.

They should make bondtech standard.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nick

mvm    12

Hi mvm,

I haven't had any problems with the extruder.

It's so good I forget it is there.

It has been faultless apart from some teething problems at the start.

I think that was mainly due to dirty nozzles and inexperience.

I print at speeds 35-50mm/s but that hasn't changed really from the old extruder.

It is more accurate, I get better definition and no problems.

It's a small price to pay to get (in my case) a $2k+ machine to behave and work like it should.

The mankati extruder is woeful in comparison.

They should make bondtech standard.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the reply. I think I have made up my mind then :)  I see that Bondtech has several models of the extruder.

Which is the one that I need and did you order the clamp with it or did you print that yourself.

NickP    7

Hi mvm,

Sorry for the late reply.

I haven't been on the forum for a while.

I bought the original model that came with the sls printed casing.

I would be interested in trying the QR version but not really using the printer as much lately.

I bought a laser cutter and it has been so much fun/useful that the printing is suffering.

Hope you have success with the Bondtech.

I doubt you will be disappointed.

Cheers,

Nick

robg    0

Glad I found this forum and post.  I have a creatbot which seems to be exactly the same as the mankati xt.   I have had issues with my extruder jamming and posted a question on the facebook 3d printing group in regards to upgrades for my printer.   Anyhow I got a reply with the suggestion of using the bondtech extruder.   Now which particular bondtech extruder have people used?

David    6

Hi Robg

I have 2 Bondtech 3.0 Extruders on my Mankati since July 2016. Works like a charm.

I had ordered the 2 brackets at the same time, and it's plug and play. You just have to adjust the e-steps value in Marlin.

I haven't tried any flexible filament yet, but it's working great with PLA, ABS, XT, no more grinding except if you have a clogged nozzle or a problem will the spool that hooks the filament before the extruder.

If I remember well, you need one left and one right extruder with the standard 2510 connector.

Martin, the owner of Bondtech is a very nice guy with a very good customer sense.

Best

David