seadog

Dual front fan holders

seadog    5

Hi All,

I had to replace a printhead cooling fan the other day (broken wire) and it prompted some thought as to a redesign of the fan mounting/cooling layout.

The fans I bought are 30x30 6mm SIRROCO units from JAYCAR and, I think, a bit more powerful. It occurred to me that coercing the airflow right around the cooling fins might be beneficial and so I have come up with a two piece design that fits snugly around the two barrels and hopefully achieves that aim. The front and back are screwed together and the fans are simply attached with small screws to the front. Total weight (sorry...mass) of plastic is about 16g compared to 21g for the originals so no prob there.

The odd arrangement of the inner cone supports matches the fans' own supports and I feel that the provision of the inner cone improves the airflow. I have squooshed the exit hole to an elliptical shape at the exit and aimed the airflow slightly downwards (very technical ...ha ha). It is pretty much hot off the press but so far it looks good.

Cheers

Dual front fans 3.jpg

Dual front fans 2.jpg

Dual front fans 1.jpg

Nelo    0

Hi All,

I had to replace a printhead cooling fan the other day (broken wire) and it prompted some thought as to a redesign of the fan mounting/cooling layout.

The fans I bought are 30x30 6mm SIRROCO units from JAYCAR and, I think, a bit more powerful. It occurred to me that coercing the airflow right around the cooling fins might be beneficial and so I have come up with a two piece design that fits snugly around the two barrels and hopefully achieves that aim. The front and back are screwed together and the fans are simply attached with small screws to the front. Total weight (sorry...mass) of plastic is about 16g compared to 21g for the originals so no prob there.

The odd arrangement of the inner cone supports matches the fans' own supports and I feel that the provision of the inner cone improves the airflow. I have squooshed the exit hole to an elliptical shape at the exit and aimed the airflow slightly downwards (very technical ...ha ha). It is pretty much hot off the press but so far it looks good.

Cheers

Dual front fans 3.jpg

Dual front fans 2.jpg

Dual front fans 1.jpg

Hi seadog

Any possibility of sharing the STL or the Gcode file? Somewhere along the line I will probably also change the fan layout.  Thank you

seadog    5

If you do choose to try the holder be sure to use TINY self tappers. two long ones to hold the front and back in place and eight similar gauge short one for the fans