Sign in to follow this  
3dbelanger

3d printed quadcopter

3dbelanger    0

hey guys i just want to share  the quadcopter design i made and print with the mankati full scale xt plus .for the project i use PETG/Nylon 910 and 645 and abs  . it took almost a week and half to get al the parts printed .i printed at 200 microns the plan there was to do a carbon fiber wrap on the finish printed part to get super strenght . here is the link

thanks

3dbelanger    0
  1. Thanks James , it took me 8 month to design the quad but the longer part was the arms and base arms, almost 4 month but this was just by 2 hours a day 5 days a week . the arm connector are really simple ,i am just using the motor connector they are 3.5 mm bullets connector. im passing those through the arms nylon base and secure them with 3 no head 3mm screw . the esc speed controllers are in the frame so like that less wires are needed . 
  2. the more complicate part to me was the arm base i think a passed 2 spools on the thing just by redoing it until im happy with and  having the propertie i want . still today im thinking of redoing coupe of thing . im in the processe of creating a video of assembling part by part so you will see more in detail how the rig is done .

3dbelanger    0

thanks James ,as soon I'm done with the video I will paste the link right here in this topic  . I'm a vfx artist for EA , I'm just designing for fun but I'm thinking to reorient my self a bit maybe ;-). my next project will be an electric bike all printed and functional lets say an hybrid between downhill bike and a motocross, but the challenge will be I want it foldable .I will mix nylon as a core and carbon fiber for the shell.

thanks again ;-)

3dbelanger    0

hi Seadog, for this im applying the carbon fiber over the printed part begining by a layer of epoxy and CF to follow just 2 layer is really enough .after i need to sand it and do all the finish. when i will be done and happy with all part i will do some mold for part that need CF . with mold the CF will have a better finish and almost no need the finish pass. i dont bake  its strong enought. 

i hope this answer your question.

3dbelanger    0

thanks James;-) ,now i just need to finish the camera gimbal and i will be done with this . and be ready to the next project . i hope  those pic answer you on the electric part of the arm as you see its really simple .

3dbelanger,

Fantastic! 

If you are working on a camera gimbal and are interested in some collaborative design, let me know. I've been designing a few types and forever could do with some input. I always seem to drag the chain with the design of them for one reason or another.

Cheers,

James.

3dbelanger    0

of course James more input = more quality ;-) . so im about to submit some software pic of my design here maybe today or tomorow so you will see how its looking . the hard part is i have to follow my quad design , i mean the gimbal need to be unplugable  so i think i found the way to do it ;-). 

thanks

3dbelanger    0

hi James ,my quadcopter was design in solidwork , but recently i have shifted to autodesk fusion 360 really nice soft everything is in there . i speed up my design speed to 80 % no joke .

and its really affordable for hobby guy compare to solidwork ;-).

3dbelanger    0

hi here is my camera gimbal for this quad . i have not reivented the wheel  with this concept . the only thing different is i able to connect and disconnect it easy. the goal was to follow the quad main concept. have a big quad for aerial filming easy to carry with minimal space . first the black base will be bolt with 3mm titanium bolt at thhe quadcopter body. i will use a nylon lock system to secure the gimbal in place. the controller board is integrated in the long part base ,so like that i just need to pass the power from the connector .

gimbal-1.jpg

gimbal-2.jpg

gimbal-3.jpg

gimbal-4.jpg

3dbelanger    0

hi Seadog, i was using solidwork 2014 . first as an hobbyiste its really a cheap sollution compare to solidwork . A cam section is integrated so im able to create my milling toolpath directly in .Modern modeling is integrated so you can directly modify the surface vertex . creating my part all in the main assembly i think solidwork can but anyway as im going more serious in my work and plan to do money at some point im more please to pay 300 per year than 6000 . the best thing i can tell is give a try 

seadog    5

hi Seadog, i was using solidwork 2014 . first as an hobbyiste its really a cheap sollution compare to solidwork . A cam section is integrated so im able to create my milling toolpath directly in .Modern modeling is integrated so you can directly modify the surface vertex . creating my part all in the main assembly i think solidwork can but anyway as im going more serious in my work and plan to do money at some point im more please to pay 300 per year than 6000 . the best thing i can tell is give a try 

Hi  3dbelanger, 

I am on it now. thanks

Seadog

seadog    5

Hi 3dbelanger,

Thanks for the tip on Fusion. I am gradually coming to grips with it and it is an improvement over SW. (And the price was right too)

Seadog

Nelo    0
  1. Thanks James , it took me 8 month to design the quad but the longer part was the arms and base arms, almost 4 month but this was just by 2 hours a day 5 days a week . the arm connector are really simple ,i am just using the motor connector they are 3.5 mm bullets connector. im passing those through the arms nylon base and secure them with 3 no head 3mm screw . the esc speed controllers are in the frame so like that less wires are needed . 
  2. the more complicate part to me was the arm base i think a passed 2 spools on the thing just by redoing it until im happy with and  having the propertie i want . still today im thinking of redoing coupe of thing . im in the processe of creating a video of assembling part by part so you will see more in detail how the rig is done .

Hi  3dbelanger

Did you find printing with the XT plus was easy? Did all parts print without problems?