Darqueone

Carbon Fibre Filament

Darqueone    4

Hi All, 

I am looking to print some parts in Carbon Fibre filament but am concerned about how much wear this will have on the stock XT Plus nozzles. Anyone have experience in printing with carbon fiber, is it as bad as they say for wear on the nozzle? Does anyone know of anyone selling compatible hardened nozzles that would fit the XT plus?

Cheers

mvm    12

Hi Darqueone,

I have printed quite a bit with the PLA+CarbonFibre filmanent so far, mainly because a customer requested it (about 1 kg so far). This is on my Fullscale XT which has different nozzles than the XT Plus.
I have found that the wear to be minimal, but since I have no way of measuring the exact diameter of the nozzle opening, this is really just a hunch.

I did find the Carbon fibre to feel a bit stiffer than the already stiff PLA filament and during printing, sometimes I find small blobs of material getting at or small fibres sticking out from the side. So it will not always make for a very smooth surface.

I think it would be nice to have stainless steel nozzles although you would need a different temperature setting because of the difference between brass and steel.

seadog    5

Stainless steel is a poor heat conductor so probably wouldn't work very well although it would wear well. I have wondered if perhaps titanium would work, it is very tough although I haven't checked its' heat conductivity properties and manufacture would be a problem. Just a thought.

MissSpiff    1

Hi Seadog,

I've printing a lot with the carbon fiber filament lately and my nozzles are still ok. I've been printing on the Fullscale XT. I found that the proto pasta filament is the easiest carbon fiber filament to print with.

Scooby Doo    0

Hi MissSpiff,

What settings are you using for printing the proto pasta carbon filament? Im am trying to print with it but for some reason I get clogs on the second layer

Thanks